Friday, October 30, 2009

How to setup a web server in a Data center?

I閳ユ獫e been doing web dev for a few years now with my sites being hosted on a shared server.I%26#039;m getting a dedicated machine,but a voice in my head is saying %26quot;do it yourself.%26quot; I閳ユ獟l have my own server %26amp; a possibility of having resellers.



My educational background is in Sys Admin,so I have a understanding of what%26#039;s needed to setup,secure %26amp; maintain systems,but I still need some info.



I%26#039;ve come up with a very basic plan of what I think is required:



1. Get a server + setup software (Debian / Redhat + Antivirus? + Network Security? + PHP / MYSQL etc + Cpanel / WHM)



2. Find a data center



3. Find a Teleco to connect the server to the net



4. Maintain system (security+performance) with patches %26amp; software updates



Although I need to do more research for step 1 %26amp; 4,my main concern is 2 %26amp; 3.What do I ask the DC %26amp; Telco?Do I setup the server offsite,then send it to the DC for them to connect,or do I personally go in %26amp; do it myself?When calling the Telco,what info should I have on hand?



How to setup a web server in a Data center?





You won%26#039;t need to find a telco, if you%26#039;re going to colocate. You simply need to find a colo facility, and they will provide the telco for you. This is better for you, in that most colos will have a fat pipe to mulitple telcos and routers that provide redundancy.



I%26#039;m part of a coop that owns a server where we run virtual linux instances under UML, and using this technique we were able to bring our costs down to around $150/year, so I%26#039;d agree the economy is there, if you%26#039;re willing to do the research.



One thing to work out for yourself is how you%26#039;ll handle issues with the box, for example, if it needs a reboot, what if it doesn%26#039;t come back up cleanly and you can%26#039;t get to it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Web hosting service Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting