Sunday, May 23, 2010

How can I make my own dedicated web server?

Hi, I%26#039;m currently trying to convert an altered (suped up) IBM Aptiva which was originally made for windows 98 into a web server. I would like to use this to host several sites. I%26#039;m trying to choose between either windows server 2003 or linux. Anybody have any advice?



How can I make my own dedicated web server?





That depends a lot on your experience with or willingness to learn Linux. If you have either I would recommend it hands down. For one it is free, two you can more easily set up virtual sites (you said you wanted to run several) with just a copy paste in a config file etc.



If the sites grow more advanced you might need php or mysql integration. If you think you will need this I would set it up from the start, will be much easier.



Main advantage to a Linux box is less maintenance and will run forever barring hardware issues. Windows needs regular re-booting etc even with the server class OS.



Also if your box was originally designed for Win 98 you may have a hard time running 2003 on such old hardware where Linux will have few issues.



Ignore all this if you don%26#039;t know Linux nor want to go through the learning curve on it which some don%26#039;t.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Web hosting service Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting